Which New York City Schools Have Beauty Programs?
Learn about beauty programs in New York City. Get information about programs available and requirements to make an informed decision about your education. Schools offering Aromatherapy degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
License Information for Cosmetologists in New York City
New York State (NYS) requires cosmetologists to obtain a license. To become a licensed cosmetologist, you must be at least 17, submit proof that you have had a physical in the last 30 days and have completed 1,000 hours of NYS-approved training. You then must pass NYS practical and written exams.
Salary and Career Information for Cosmetologists in New York City
Jobs for cosmetologists, hairstylists and hairdressers were expected to increase 16% nationwide within the 2010-2020 decade, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). There were approximately 16,000 cosmetologists, hairstylists and hairdressers working in the New York-White Plains-Wayne, NY-NJ area as of May 2011, according to the BLS. They made a mean wage of about $32,000.
Beauty Programs in New York City
American Beauty School
- Program Name: Cosmetology
- Program Length: Nine months (1,000 hours), full-time
- Tuition: $7,490 for the program (2011-2012)
- School Type: < 2-year, private for-profit (219 undergraduates)
- Address: 1380 Metropolitan Ave., Bronx, NY 10462
- Phone: 718-931-7400
The program covers cosmetology theory and helps you develop fundamental skills. Classes are in both Spanish and English. The school boasts a student clinic where students have the opportunity to acquire hands-on training with real clients.
Career School of NY
- Program Name: Cosmetology and Hair
- Program Length: 29 weeks, day classes, full-time; 50 weeks, evening classes, part-time (2012)
- Tuition: $10,345 for program (2012)
- Admission Requirements: High school diploma and Nationally Approved Entrance Test (Wonderlic) passing score
- School Type: < 2-year, private, not-for-profit (46 undergraduates)
- Address: 350 St. Marks Pl., Staten Island, NY 10301
- Phone: 718-420-6440
You complete a variety of courses, including chemical hair-straightening, hair analysis, haircutting and hairstyling. You also learn to apply makeup and manicure nails. Other required courses include salon management, sanitation, sterilization and professional development.
CUNY Lehman College
- Program Name: Beauty Techniques & the New Revolution
- Program Length: About two months, full-time
- Tuition: $665 (fall 2012)
- School Type: 4-year, public (about 12,000 total student population with about 10,000 undergraduates)
- Address: CUNY on the Concourse (COTC), 2501 Grand Concourse, 3rd floor, Bronx, NY 10468
- Phone: 718-960-8512
This program is offered through Lehman College's Continuing Education Department. It consists of three courses: haircutting and special occasions hairstyling, makeup and skin care, artificial nails and manicure. You also learn about haircutting techniques, stage makeup and razor-cutting hair.
Empire Beauty School - Manhattan
- Program Name: Hairdressing and Cosmetology
- Program Length: 1,000 hours, full-time
- Tuition: $12,000 tuition and fees for the program (2011-2012)
- Admission Requirements: Federal or state photo ID, high school diploma, career planning interview and admission assessment
- School Type: < 2-year, private for-profit (841 undergraduates)
- Address: 22 West 34th St., New York, NY 10001
- Phone: 212-967-1717
The program has two main sections: pre-salon and salon. During the pre-salon portion of the program, you learn about manicuring, makeup, facials, hair coloring, haircutting, trichology, permanent waving, chemical relaxing and artificial nails. During the salon portion, you study advanced procedures, state laws and salon ecology. You also complete a salon experience.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: