Where in Indiana Can I Take CNA Classes?
Learn about CNA schools in Indiana. See degree and specialization options, program requirements and courses, and get career and salary info for the state. Schools offering Nursing degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
Indiana Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Requirements
CNAs work in healthcare facilities such as hospitals and nursing homes to provide basic care, such as cleaning, feeding, bathing and transferring patients. To be qualified for work, these professionals must complete a nursing program approved by the state, complete a competency evaluation that tests both written and real-world skills, and obtain registration with the Indiana State Nurse Registry.
Salary and Job Outlook for CNAs in the State of Indiana
From 2010-2020, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) predicted that nursing aides, assistants and orderlies would see a 20% growth in employment, which is faster than the average for all occupations. This growth may be attributed to the growing elderly population in nursing homes, which is primarily where these professionals are employed. In May 2011, the BLS reported that nursing aides in Indiana earned a mean annual salary of about $23,400 per year, or about $11.27 per hour.
CNA Training Courses and Programs in Indiana
Indiana University Northwest
- Program Name: Certified Nursing Assistant Course
- Program Length: Three weeks, 105 hours
- Tuition: $810 total program cost (2012; does not include examination fee)
- Requirements: Drug test, criminal background check, tuberculosis test, fluency in English and basic math skills
- School Type: 4-year, public; about 6,000 students
- Address: 3400 Broadway, Gary, IN 46408
- Phone: 219-980-6500
This non-credit program includes the mandatory 105 hours of clinical training that is necessary to qualify to become a CNA in Indiana. This includes about 75 hours of clinical experience and 30 hours of classroom education. The program is intended to teach you about first aid, communication, aging and personal care. The program does not allow for any missed days, and if a day is missed, the entire program must be repeated at full cost.
Purdue University - Calumet Campus
- Program Name: Certified Nursing Assistant Training
- Program Length: 105 hours
- Tuition: $735 total program cost (2012; includes examination fee)
- Requirements: Before the clinical portion: criminal background check, drug test, tuberculosis test
- School Type: 4-year, public; about 10,000 students
- Address: 2200 169th St, Hammond, IN 46323
- Phone: 219-989-2400
This program includes 30 hours of classroom instruction in addition to 75 hours of clinical training. A criminal background check, drug test and tuberculosis test are mandatory in order to begin the clinical portion of the program, but students are instructed not to obtain these results until enrolled in the program and given specific instructions. Concepts covered by this program include subjects like communication, confidentiality, moving patients, bladder and bowel training, monitoring vital signs and disease prevention.
Vincennes University - Jasper Campus
- Program Name: Certified Nursing Assistant Course
- Program Length: Four weeks, 105 hours
- Tuition: $750 total program cost (2012; includes examination fee, books and supplies)
- Requirements: Mandatory orientation, criminal background check, tuberculosis test, physical, basic reading test and basic math test
- School Type: 4-year (mostly associate degrees), public; about 17,000 students
- Address: 1002 N. First St, Vincennes, IN 47591
- Phone: 812-888-8888
This program can teach you about patient interaction so that you can relay the conditions of each patient to a supervising nursing. Additionally, you'll learn how to make beds, deliver food, bathe patients, take temperatures and measure blood pressure. This program consists of 75 hours of clinical experience and 30 hours of classroom study.
CNA Certificate Program in Indiana
Ivy Tech Community College
- Program Name: Certificate in Patient Care
- Program Length: 19 credit hours, two academic terms
- Tuition: $3,243 total program cost (2012; includes tuition, fees, books and supplies)
- School Type: 2-year, public; Ivy Tech Community College as a system serves 200,000 students per year, actual student populations vary by campus
- Address: Bloomington campus - 200 Daniels Way, Bloomington, IN 47404; Central Indiana campus - 50 W. Fall Creek Parkway N. Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46208; Richmond campus - 2357 Richmond, IN 47374
- Phone: Bloomington campus - 812-332-1559; Central Indiana campus - 317-921-4800; Richmond campus - 765-966-2656
Ivy Tech Community College offers a variety of health care support certificate and degree programs, including the patient care certificate program, which can prepare you to become a CNA in Indiana. The program meets all the qualifications for the state's registry test and will prepare you to work in a nursing home or hospital setting. Ivy Tech is composed of 14 campuses, and among those that offer the patient care certificate program are campuses in Bloomington, Central Indiana and Richmond.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: