Where in Texas Can I Find CNA Programs and Classes?
Learn about CNA programs in Texas. Get information about programs available, admission procedures, and training requirements to make an informed decision about your education. Schools offering Nursing degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
Requirements for CNAs in Texas
To become a certified nursing aide (CNA) in Texas, you must complete a nurse aide training program and successfully pass a competency evaluation exam. The Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (TDADS) requires that programs consist of at least 75 hours of training. Of those hours, 51 must involve classroom training; 24 hours must include hands-on experience in a long-term care facility. Once you pass the competency exam, your name is put on the Texas Nurse Aide Registry. To remain active on the registry, you must verify your employment every 2 years.
Salary and Job Growth for CNAs in Texas
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported that nationwide employment of nursing aides, orderlies and attendants would grow 20% between 2010 and 2020. As of May 2011, Texas had more than 94,000 nursing aides, orderlies, and attendants employed, making it the state with the third-highest employment level for this occupation. Nursing aides, orderlies, and attendants in that state earned mean annual wages of around $23,000. This amount is slightly lower than the mean wage of $25,000 earned nationwide by professionals in this field.
Schools Offering CNA Programs in Texas
Central Texas College
- Program Name: Certified Nurse Aide Training Program
- Program Length: 4 months, full-time
- Tuition: $749 for complete program (2012)
- Admission Requirements: Proof of all required immunizations; two references; criminal background check
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 27,000 students (all undergraduate)
- Address: 6200 West Central Texas Expressway, Killeen, Texas 76549
- Phone: 254-526-1586
Offered through Central Texas College's continuing education department, this certified nurse aide program provides you with the training necessary to take the Texas nurse aide competency exam. The curriculum includes 64 hours of classroom and lab studies and 28 hours of clinical experiences in a long-term care facility. Throughout the semester, you'll attend lectures during weekday evenings and complete clinical experiences during weekends at the end of the program.
Kilgore College - Longview
- Program Name: Nurse Assistant (Aide)
- Program Length: 1 month, full-time
- Tuition: $199 (2012)
- Admission Requirements: Must be at least 16 years old; criminal background check
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 6,400 students (all undergraduate)
- Address: 300 South High, Longview, Texas 75601
- Phone: 903-753-2642
The nurse assistant program at Kilgore College is offered in both daytime and evening formats. Through classroom studies and clinical education, you'll be prepared to pass the Texas CNA certification exam and seek employment as a nursing assistant.
Laredo Community College
- Program Name: Nurse Assistant Program
- Program Length: 1 semester, full-time
- Tuition: $1,008 for complete program (2012)
- Admission Requirements: Transcripts from high school, GED, or any prior college coursework; nursing assistant application; letter of reference; COMPASS placement examination; provide proof of physical examination, CPR certification, current immunizations and criminal background check; student liability insurance
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 10,000 students (all undergraduate)
- Address: West End Washington Street, Laredo, Texas 78040
- Phone: 956-721-5255
Offered during the Fall and Spring semesters, the nurse assistant program at Laredo Community College prepares you to take and pass the nurse aide competency exam. Your curriculum includes group discussions, classroom lectures, and clinical lab studies. Course topics include body systems, healthcare techniques for nurse aides, and medical terminology.
University of Texas at Arlington
- Program Name: Certified Nurse Aide
- Program Length: 60 hours (approximately 2 months), full-time
- Tuition: $2,000 for complete program (Fall 2012)
- Admission Requirements: CPR certification; proof of current immunizations; professional liability insurance
- School Type: 4-year, public; about 33,000 students (all undergraduate)
- Address: 701 South Nedderman Drive, Arlington, Texas 76013
- Phone: 817-272-2581
The University of Texas at Arlington offers a certified nurse aide class through its Division for Enterprise Development. The program consists of 14 sessions, with 2 nights per week devoted to classroom studies and clinicals held once a week during the day. Upon successful completion of all training, you'll meet the requirements set by TDADS and can take the state competency exam.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: