What Is the Top School for an Associate Degree in Interior Design?
Associate degree in Interior Design graduates can begin their careers with architectural firms, furniture showrooms or interior design consulting offices, or they can transfer to a bachelor's degree program to become eligible for certification and licensure. Luzerne County Community College (LCCC) in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania, is the top school in the U.S. for earning an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Interior Design. Schools offering Interior Design degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
Luzerne County Community College in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania
We chose Luzerne County Community College (LCCC) as the top school offering an associate's degree in Interior Design because it's among the few colleges that offer 2-year degree programs in this field. All Interior Design students at LCCC take on a complete project for an actual client in their second year of study, in addition to completing a 120-hour internship in a professional Interior Design office. LCCC courses also cost less than those of neighboring schools. Core courses for those pursuing an Associated in Applied Science (AAS) in Interior Design may include:
- Architectural Design Graphics I: Students begin to explore drafting, both manually and with computer assistance. They lay out designs in two and three dimensions and practice drawing freehand.
- Materials and Methods for Interior Design: Students evaluate, specify and learn the details of installing various finishes, construction materials, cabinetry and components. Environmental impact and sustainability issues are discussed.
- Color and Design I: Given a space limited by size, shape or function, how might color and texture choices increase its appeal? Students explore color theory and design applications, considering the effects of hue, value, transparency or opaqueness and texture.
- Mechanical Equipment: Students learn about the design and operation of heating, plumbing and electrical systems. This knowledge is integrated into a capstone project for an actual commercial client in the last semester of study.
- Interior Design Studio I: Using their drafting, presentation and model building skills, students design and present interior proposals with universal access in mind. Readings, lectures, studio work, experiential learning assignments and comprehensive projects are all part of the course's format.
School Address: 1333 South Prospect Street, Nanticoke, PA 18634-3899
School Telephone Number: (800) 377-5222, (570) 740-0200 or (570) 740-0300
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: