Which Schools Offer Sonography Certificate Programs in Atlanta?
Learn about sonography certificate programs in the Atlanta, GA, area. Get information about available programs and admission and program requirements to make an informed decision about your education. Schools offering Diagnostic Medical Sonography degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
Licensing Information for Medical Diagnostic Sonographers in Atlanta, Georgia
While the state of Georgia does not require licensing to work in diagnostic medical sonography, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported that most employers prefer to hire sonographers who have earned professional certification (www.bls.gov). You can pursue sonography certification through the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists, or ARRT (www.arrt.org). The exam consists of two parts: a test on sonographic procedures that lasts four hours, and a 2.5-hour test on principals of patient care and ultrasound. The American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) also offers a credentialing exam for Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographers, with specific exams in areas such as abdominal sonography and obstetrics and gynecology (OB/GYN) sonography (www.ardms.org).
Career and Salary Info for Sonographers in Atlanta, Georgia
The BLS reported that, as of May 2011, 600 diagnostic medical sonographers worked in the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta metropolitan area, and they earned an average annual wage of about $61,000. The field of sonography is predicted to rapidly grow in the coming years; specifically, the BLS predicted 44% job growth for diagnostic medical sonographers from 2010-2020. Employment should be especially strong in doctor's offices, laboratories and outpatient facilities.
Certificate Program in Sonography in the Atlanta, GA, Area
Grady Health System Professional Schools
- Program Name: Medical Diagnostic Sonography Certificate
- Program Length: 18 months, full-time
- Tuition: $2,175 per quarter (as of 2012; excluding fees)
- Prerequisites: High school diploma or its equivalent, graduation from an accredited medical program with a GPA of at least 2.5, minimum SAT score of 850 or ACT score of 18, completion of an associate's degree program with a health-related focus or completion of a 2-year allied health program with a patient-care component; college coursework in English, algebra, psychology, information technology, medical terminology, statistics, communications, anatomy and physiology, biology and physics
- Requirements: Minimum age of 18; good physical, mental and emotional health
- School Type: 2-year, public; student population of 85 (all undergraduate)
- Address: 80 Jesse Hill Jr Drive, SE, Atlanta, GA 30303
- Phone: (404) 616-3505
The School of Diagnostic Medical Sonography at Grady Health System offers a full-time, 18-month certificate program in downtown Atlanta. It is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) and focuses on abdominal imaging and OB/GYN. Class sizes are small and competition to get into this program is heavy; only 10 students are admitted every year.
To qualify for this program, you must be in good physical condition. Much of your work in sonography will consist of moving and lifting patients into appropriate positions for imaging, and you must be strong enough to do so without harming either yourself or patients. You are also required to have had some prior experience in health care, either by completing an allied health program or a health-care related associate's degree.
The curriculum will incorporate classroom learning, clinical experience and laboratory exercises. You'll gain practical experience rotating through clinical rounds at several different clinic sites and various diagnostic-imaging departments, including perinatal imaging, abdominal imaging and pediatrics. The program is designed to prepare you to take the national certification exams in abdominal or OB/GYN sonography within 13 months of graduation.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: