What Popular Barber Schools Are Located in Pennsylvania?
Find schools in Pennsylvania offering barber training. Learn about state licensure requirements, and get job growth and salary information for barbers living in Pennsylvania. Schools offering Aromatherapy degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
Requirements for Barbers in Pennsylvania
In the state of Pennsylvania, becoming a professional barber entails completing 1,250 hours of approved training and passing the State Board of Barber Examiners licensure examination. Approved barbering programs generally last around 9 months and provide clinical practice in a variety of required areas. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the state of Pennsylvania had the highest employment for barbers in 2011 with 910 employed professionals.
Based on BLS 2010-2020 projections, nationwide employment for barbers was expected to increase by 7%, which is below the national average for all occupations. In the U.S., barbers earned mean salaries of around $28,000, according to 2011 BLS data; this is slightly above the average for barbers in Pennsylvania, who earned mean annual incomes of about $26,000.
Barber Programs in Pennsylvania
Fortis Institute - Erie
- Program Name: Barber Operator Diploma Program
- Program Length: 1,260 hours
- Tuition: $15,652 total tuition cost (2012)
- Admission Requirements: Personal interview, admissions test
- School Type: Private, for-profit; 1,550 undergraduates
- Address: 5757 W 26th St., Erie, Pennsylvania 16506
- Phone: (814) 838-7673
Fortis Institute has 3 locations in PA: Erie, Forty Fort and Scranton. The school's barbering diploma program fulfills the requirements for state licensure and prepares you for the licensure examination. You gain hands-on training through the student barbering clinic while learning about hair cutting and styling, men's hairpieces and barbering history. The program also covers business and sales, professional ethics and job-seeking skills. Fortis Institute offers a crossover program in cosmetology as well.
Jolie Hair and Beauty Academy of Hazleton
- Program Name: Barbering Program
- Program Length: 1,250 hours
- Tuition: $14,800 for complete program (2011)
- School Type: Private, for-profit; 63 undergraduates
- Address: 1057 N. Church St., Hazleton, Pennsylvania 18201
- Phone: (570) 459-5501
In addition to its Hazelton, PA, location, the Jolie Hair and Beauty Academy also has a location in Wilkes-Barre, PA. The school is accredited by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts and Sciences and is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Jolie's barbering program includes courses covering state laws, sanitation and bacteriology. Through class lectures and hands-on experiences, you also receive training in shaving, stropping, honing, shampooing and hair cutting.
West Chester School of Barbering
- Program Name: Barber Course
- Program Length: 1,250 hours
- Tuition: $13,500 for complete program (2012)
- Admission Requirements: At least 16 years old, high school diploma or GED
- School Type: Private, for-profit
- Address: Ships Village Shopping Center, 911 E. Boot Rd., West Chester, Pennsylvania 19380
- Phone: (610) 719-0100
The West Chester School of Barbering offers a course in barbering, as well as a barber teacher course and a crossover program for licensed cosmetologists. The barbering course curriculum includes lectures followed by practical demonstrations to prepare you for the state barbers exam. You also receive clinical training in areas such as straight razor uses, honing and stropping, scalp massage and shampooing. Barber shop management and state laws and regulations are also covered.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: