What Are the Courses in an Online Hotel & Restaurant Management Degree Program?
An online degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management offers the same benefits and core courses as a degree completed in the traditional manner - on campus. Core courses of an online Hotel and Restaurant Management degree program may include food principles, restaurant planning, lodging management and ethical and legal issues in business. Schools offering Hotel & Restaurant Management degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
Description of Core Courses for an Online Degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management
Though every degree program is slightly different, each Hotel and Restaurant Management program, whether online or on campus, is designed to prepare students for management careers in the hospitality industry. The skills learned through the courses can be applied to other careers easily because of their customer-focused nature. These are some core courses in an online Hotel and Restaurant Management degree program and their descriptions:
- Legal & Ethical Issues in Business: Learn about codes and regulations for businesses, in particular restaurants and hotels.
- Food Principles and Applications: Learn the basics of preparing a meal, including menu planning and design.
- Restaurant & Resort Marketing: An online core course in a Hotel and Restaurant Management degree program where students discover ways to generate business and get people interested in staying at their hotel and eating at their restaurant. They also learn to apply different marketing and sales techniques.
- Strategic Restaurant Planning: Study how to set up a restaurant so it draws in business, seating is maximized, the menu is tantalizing and customers return.
- Catering Techniques & Culinary Arts: Master catering techniques that include serving food to large numbers of people and even finding locations for their meetings.
- Lodging Management: The course covers a history of the lodging industry, current trends and techniques for managing, operating and organizing a hotel or lodge.
- Introduction to the Hospitality & Tourism Industry: This online core course in a Hotel and Restaurant Management degree program looks at current trends in the hospitality industry and ethics and professionalism.
- Travel Industry Operations & Technology: Incorporate modern technologies into everyday aspects of the hospitality industry and learn the best way to use them.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: