What's the Top School for Automotive Mechanics Degrees in Tulsa, OK?
Learn about automotive mechanic degrees near Tulsa, OK. See degree and specialization options, program requirements and courses, and get career and salary info for the region. Schools offering Automobile Repair degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
Career Info for Automotive Mechanics in Tulsa, OK
Automotive service technicians and mechanics, as well as automotive body and glass repairers, typically complete a formal training program and become certified through the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE). Vocational and postsecondary institutions offer programs in automotive technology and automotive body repair. Most employers prefer to hire certified auto professionals, and different test series are available for ASE certification. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment opportunities for automotive mechanics and technicians were expected to increase by 17% from 2010 and 2020, which was about average. Automotive body and glass repairers were projected to experience a 19% increase in job openings during the same time period.
In 2011, the BLS reported that automotive service technicians and mechanics in Tulsa, OK, earned an average salary of about $35,000, which was less than the national average of around $38,000. Automotive body and related repairers earned an average salary of approximately $42,000 throughout the country, a slightly higher figure than the average of roughly $37,000 for these professionals in the Tulsa area. The BLS reported that 380 automotive body and related repairers and 1,620 automotive service technicians and mechanics worked in Tulsa as of that time.
Career Majors for Automotive Mechanics near Tulsa, OK
Indian Capital Technology Center in Muskogee
- Program Name: Automotive General Services Technician Career Major
- Program Length: 1,050 instruction hours
- Tuition: $1.50 per hour for in-district adult students; $3.00 per hour for out-of-district adult students (2011-2012)
- School Type: 2-year, public; around 650 students (all undergraduate)
- Address: 2403 N. 41st St. E., Muskogee, OK 74403
- Phone: (918) 687-6383
The Indian Capital Technology Center in Muskogee offers free tuition if you're a high school student less than 21 years old. This course of study consists of 1,050 total hours of instruction, which can count for college credit at participating schools. You learn how to diagnose, repair, and maintain a variety of automotive vehicles. You could take classes like braking systems, automotive electronics, automotive electrical systems, engine repair, and drive trains. Other areas of study might include transmission, suspension, and air conditioning systems. Collision repair technician is another career major to consider.
Northeast Technology Center - Pryor
- Program Name: Automotive Service Technician Career Major
- Program Length: One year, full-time
- Tuition: $1,600 for in-district students; $3,200 for out-of-district students (per year, as of 2012))
- School Type: Less than 2-year, public; roughly 360 students (all undergraduate)
- Address: 6195 W. Hwy 20, Pryor, Oklahoma 74362
- Phone: 918-825-5555 ext. 2135
With this career major, which is in compliance with ASE/National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation standards, you can qualify to work as an entry-level automotive service technician. You learn about air-conditioning systems, engine performance and vehicle steering, among other topics. Northeast Technology Center - Pryor also offers career majors in automotive drivability technician, automotive maintenance & light repair, automotive chassis technician and automotive alignment technician. High school students can enroll in the programs part-time.
Tulsa Technology Center in Broken Arrow
- Program Name: Automotive General Service Technician Career Major
- Program Length: Eight classes
- Tuition: $2,598.75 per year (free for local high school students; 2012-2013)
- School Type: 2-year, public; 450 students (all undergraduate)
- Address: 4600 W. Florence, Broken Arrow, OK 74011
- Phone: (918) 828-3000
Your training at Tulsa Technology Center in Broken Arrow can include an internship, in which you'd work alongside local automotive professionals. The credits you earn here may transfer to local schools towards an associate's degree program. Some of the classes cover topics in automotive brakes, steering/suspension, engine performance, and automatic transmission.
Associate's Degree Program for Automotive Mechanics near Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology in Okmulgee
- Program Name: Associate in Applied Science in Automotive Service Technologies
- Specializations: Automotive service pro-tech, Chrysler College Automotive Program, Ford Automotive Student Service Educational Training, General Motors Automotive Student Educational Program, and Toyota Technical Education Network
- Program Length: 89 credit hours
- Tuition: $140.50 per credit hour for residents; $317.50 per credit hour for non-residents (2012)
- School Type: 4-year, public; about 4,000 students (all undergraduate)
- Address: 1801 E. 4th St., Okmulgee, OK 74447
- Phone: (800) 722-4471
At the OSU Institute of Technology in Okmulgee, the automotive service pro-tech program offers a general education of automotive systems. The coursework in the automotive service technology program may include topics in electrical diagnosis, manual drive train repair, and engine performance. You take an interdepartmental course in computer applications to support your vocational training. With an employer sponsorship, you might even have a job right when you graduate. Otherwise, you can choose a program with industry specific training in Ford, Chrysler, General Motors or Toyota automobiles. The OSU Institute of Technology also offers an A.A.S. in Automotive Collision Repair Technology.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: