Where Can I Find a LPN School in Queens, NY?
Learn about LPN schools in Queens, NY. Get information about programs available and admission and program requirements to make an informed decision about your education. Schools offering Nursing degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
Career Information for LPNs in Queens, NY
Licensed practical nurses (LPNs) also known as licensed vocational nurses (LVNs) in some states, are required to obtain licensure in order to practice in all U.S. states. Licensure requirements for LPNs include completing a properly accredited program and passing the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN). In order to qualify for this licensure examination, an aspiring LPN must complete an accredited practical nursing program from a postsecondary institution, which typically takes one year.
Salary and Employment Outlook for LPNs in Queens, NY
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) expected job growth for LPNs and LVNs to increase by 22% nationwide from 2010-2020. According to the BLS, there were approximately 48,000 LPNs and LVNs working in the state of New York as of May 2011 and they made a mean annual wage of about $44,000.
LPN Certificate Programs in or near Queens, NY
LaGuardia Community College
- Program Name: Practical Nursing Certificate
- Program Length: One year, full-time
- Tuition: $1,950 (12-18 credits) for residents; $260 per credit full-time (12-18 credits) for non-residents (fall 2012)
- Prerequisites: Complete pre-clinical courses
- Admission Requirements: Assessment Testing for Practical Nursing Students
- School Type: 2-year, public (about 19,000 undergraduates)
- Address: 31-10 Thomson Ave., Long Island City, NY 11101
- Phone: 718-482-5248
You'll take courses in nursing skills and concepts, nutrition, pharmacology and medical-surgical nursing. Other courses include nursing in the areas of mental health, maternal-child health and pediatrics, along with a course in leadership and management. After completing the program and obtaining your license, you may enroll in the LPN-RN program if you're interested in becoming a registered nurse (RN).
CUNY Bronx Community College
- Program Name: Licensed Practical Nursing Certificate
- Program Length: Three semesters, full-time, plus summer weekends and evenings
- Tuition: $1,950 per semester, full-time (12-18 credits) for residents; $260 per credit, full-time (12-18 credits) for non-residents (fall 2012)
- Prerequisites: Complete courses in communications, psychology, English and biology
- Admission Requirements: CUNY/American College Testing (ACT) Reading and Writing Skills Assessment test scores, National League for Nurses (NLN) Pre-entrance Exam for Practical Nursing; medically cleared, Basic Cardiac Life Support certification and malpractice insurance
- School Type: 2-year, public (about 11,000 undergraduates)
- Address: 2155 University Ave., Bronx, NY 10453
- Phone: 718-289-5428
In this program, you'll take courses in infection control, microbiology and concepts of mental health. You'll also study pharmacology, in addition to psychiatric and pediatric nursing. The program has three courses in nursing skills where you develop your pharmacology computation skills, along with Internet methods of research.
CUNY Hostos Community College
- Program Name: Certificate in Practical Nursing
- Program Length: Four semesters, full-time
- Tuition: $1,950 per semester full-time (12-18 credits) for residents; $260 per credit full-time (12-18 credits) for non-residents (fall 2012)
- Prerequisites: Courses in child abuse and infection control must be completed prior to the clinical phase
- Admission Requirements: NLN Pre-entrance Exam for Practical Nursing and Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI) exam; clinical: drug screen, liability insurance, CPR certification
- School Type: 2-year, public (about 7,000 undergraduates)
- Address: 500 Grand Concourse, Bronx, NY 10451
- Phone: 718-319-7900
The first semester you can expect to take courses in writing, physiology, anatomy, psychology and math. In the second semester, courses include ethnicity illnesses, behavior development and anatomy. Clinical courses include clinical nursing, pharmacology, child/maternal nursing and microbiology.
CUNY Medgar Evers College
- Program Name: Practical Nursing Certificate
- Program Length: 18 months, full-time
- Tuition: $2,715 per semester for full-time New York State residents; $484 per credit for full-time out-of-state residents (fall 2012)
- Admission Requirements: NLN Pre-entrance Exam for Practical Nursing, interview, basic skills coursework and CUNY Skills Assessment Exam; medical clearance, CPR certification, physical exam, Hepatitis B testing and malpractice insurance
- School Type: 4-year, public (about 7,000 undergraduates)
- Address: 1650 Bedford Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11225
- Phone: 718-270-6222
Courses for this program include physiology, anatomy, psychosocial and medical-surgical nursing, nutrition and pharmacology. You will also participate in both a skills lab and a clinical lab. Before graduation, you will can complete a course to help you get ready for the NCLEX-PN exam.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: