Which Culinary Universities Are Near Kansas City, MO?
Learn about culinary universities near Kansas City, MO. Get information about programs and classes available and admission requirements to make an informed decision about your education. Schools offering Baking & Pastry degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
Career Information for Culinary Professionals Near Kansas City, MO
In the Kansas City, MO, area, there are no 4-year universities that offer culinary programs. However, there are courses and programs available at area community colleges and technical education centers. While licensure isn't required to work as a cook or chef in Kansas City, all food handlers must have a Kansas City or Platte County Food Handler Card. Voluntary certifications are available from the American Culinary Federation.
Salary and Employment Outlook for Culinary Professionals Near Kansas City, MO
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) expected jobs for cooks to increase eight percent nationally from 2010-2020. In May 2011, the BLS reported there were around 7,600 restaurant cooks working in the Kansas City area, earning a mean annual salary of around $21,000. The BLS also predicted that jobs for chefs and head cooks were expected to decrease one percent from 2010-2020. In May 2011, the BLS found there were 580 of these individuals in Kansas City, earning around $43,000 annually.
Culinary Classes Near Kansas City, MO
University of Missouri-Kansas City, MO
- Program Name: CommUniversity Online Class
- Field of Study Options: Food
- Program Length: About 2-4 hours per course
- Tuition: $9-$14 per course (Fall 2012)
- School Type: 4-year, public; more than 10,000 undergraduates
- Address: 5100 Cherry #320, Kansas City, MO 64110
- Phone: 816-235-1407
The University of Missouri-Kansas City offers food courses at various locations on and off campus. You may take courses in indulgences, such as chocolate and alcohol-based baking, and drink making, such as coffee cupping, afternoon tea, real drinking chocolate and home brewing. Courses are also offered in areas like vegetarian and ethnic food. These courses include demonstrations and hands-on training.
Culinary Certificate Programs Near Kansas City, MO
Kansas City Kansas Community College
- Program Name: Professional Cooking Technical Certificate
- Program Length: 36 credit hours
- Tuition: $65 per credit hour for residents, $277 for non-residents (2012)
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 7,600 undergraduates
- Address: 7250 State Ave., Kansas City, KS 66112
- Phone: 913-334-1100
Kansas City Kansas Community College includes the Technical Education Center, which offers a professional cooking certificate. This program teaches you the fundamental concepts of cooking for a restaurant, hotel or catering service. You will receive instruction in menu marketing and planning, cooking methods and a sequence in food production. This curriculum also includes a capstone project and an internship.
Northland Career Center, Platte City, MO
- Program Name: Certificate in Culinary Arts
- Program Length: One year, full time or two years, part time
- Tuition: $3,550 per semester full-time (2011-2012)
- School Type: Less than 2-year, public; around 30 undergraduates
- Address: 1801 Branch, Platte City, MO 64079
- Phone: 816-858-5505
Located in nearby Platte City, the Northland Career Center offers a program that is certified by the American Culinary Federation. This certificate program is offered in a two-year format for high school students that involves three hours a day of instruction and a one year adult program that requires six hours daily. The curriculum will prepare you to take an entry-level management position or a job as a cook or pastry cook. Through hands-on training, you learn about safety, along with how to prepare sandwiches, salads, soups and sauces.
Culinary Associate's Program Near Kansas City, MO
Metropolitan Community College, Kansas City, MO
- Program Name: Associate of Applied Science in Hospitality Management
- Field of Study Options: Chef Apprenticeship
- Program Length: Three years, full time
- Tuition: $2,640 per year for in-district residents, $4,710 for state residents, $6,330 for non-residents (2011-2012)
- School Type: 2-year, public; around 5,300 undergraduates
- Address: 3200 Broadway, Kansas City, MO 64111
- Phone: 816-604-1000
Metropolitan Community College offers this associate degree program in conjunction with Johnson County Community College. This program includes some general education requirements in English, math and the humanities. For your core courses, you will learn about topics in food preparation, beverage control, food purchasing, menu planning and baking. You must also complete a practicum sequence in order to graduate.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: