Which Schools Offer Computer Animation Degrees in the San Josť, CA Area?
Find schools in the San Jose, CA, area offering computer animation degree programs and classes. Learn about program requirements and get salary info for computer animators living in the San Jose, CA, area. Schools offering Animation degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
Career Info for Computer Animators in the San Jose, CA, Area
Computer animators are tasked with using computer software to create 3-D and 2-D animation for several types of media, including movies, video games and television. To enter this field, employers don't always require candidates to complete a college education. Instead, you must demonstrate your technical ability, creativity and computer skills through an appealing portfolio.
In the San Jose area, you'll find associate's and bachelor's degree programs available in animation or multimedia. These programs will provide you with the computer graphics, drawing and technical skills to create a professional portfolio of work using industry standard technology.
Salary Info and Career Outlook for Computer Animators in the San Jose, CA, Area
As of May 2011, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimated that the 420 multimedia artists and animators working in the San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara area earned a mean annual salary of about $75,000. The BLS also predicted that multimedia artist and animator positions might see an 8% growth nationwide between 2010 and 2020.
Computer Animation Associate's Degree Programs in the San Jose, CA, Area
- Program Name: Associate in Arts in Multimedia
- Area of Study: 3-D animation and videogame art
- Program Length: 60 credit hours
- Tuition: $46 per unit for residents, additional $203 per unit for non-residents (tuition as of 2012)
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 6,900 students (all undergraduates)
- Address: 4200 Farm Hill Boulevard, Redwood City, CA 94061
- Phone: (650) 306-3226
The 3-D animation and videogame art program offers training in storyboarding, drawing, character rigging, animation history and digital imaging. Prior to graduation, you complete a portfolio creation course to perfect the presentation of your best work to future employers. You can complete a certificate program in animation that examines core courses, such as digital animation and special effects.
Ohlone Community College
- Program Name: Associate in Arts in Multimedia
- Program Length: 60 semester units
- Tuition: $46 per unit for residents, additional $218 per unit for non-residents (tuition for 2012)
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 10,000 students (all undergraduates)
- Address: 43600 Mission Boulevard, Fremont, CA 94539
- Phone: (510) 659-6000
Located north of San Jose, CA, Ohlone Community College's multimedia associate's degree program trains you in 3-D modeling, Flash animation, videogame development, graphic design, computer graphics, website design and DVD creation. This program also has a course dedicated to the development of your portfolio. If you would like to develop hands-on skills in a professional environment, you can complete an occupational work experience course. If you don't want to complete general education courses, this school also offers a certificate program that only requires you to complete multimedia-related courses.
West Valley College
- Program Name: Associate of Arts in Computer Arts: Animation
- Program Length: 2-years, full-time
- Tuition: $46 per unit for residents, additional $204 per unit for non-residents (tuition for 2012)
- School Type: 2-year, public; about 11,000 students (all undergraduates)
- Address: 14000 Fruitvale Avenue, Saratoga, CA 95070
- Phone: (408) 741-4013
Before you enter this program, the school recommends that you complete a course in either PC or Mac training. At West Valley College, you can complete an associate's degree or certificate program that explores animation. Within the programs, you examine concepts in color design, interactive video art, animation techniques and basic drawing. The associate's program can prepare you to transfer to an animation-related bachelor's degree program.
Computer Animation Bachelor's Degree Program in the San Jose, CA, Area
San Jose State University
- Program Name: Bachelor of Fine Arts in Animation/Illustration
- Specialized Areas: Animation
- Program Length: 5-years, full-time
- Tuition: $280 per unit (tuition for 2012)
- School Type: 4-year, public; about 25,000 undergraduate and 5,000 graduate students
- Address: 1 Washington Square, San Jose, CA 95192
- Phone: (408) 924-4320
Located in the heart of San Jose, CA, San Jose State University's animation/illustration bachelor's degree program investigates topics in visual principles, animation drawing, lighting, motion mechanics, digital animation techniques, animation history and sequential narratives. At the beginning of your third year, you're required to pass a progress review before you can proceed with your education. This program also requires you to complete a major project during your third and last year, along with a 3-unit internship. Additionally, the program features a distance-learning classroom via closed circuit TV and yearly trips to areas like Los Angeles, New York and London.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: