Which Schools Offer Graphic Design Degrees in Jacksonville, FL?
Find schools which Jacksonville schools offer graphic design programs. See requirements and school information, and learn about job prospects for a graphic design career in Jacksonville, FL. Schools offering Graphic & Web Design degrees can also be found in these popular choices.
Career Information for Graphic Designers in Jacksonville, Florida
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), a bachelor's degree is usually required to work as a graphic designer. These programs will often help you to develop a portfolio of your best work, which will likely be an important factor in obtaining work.
The BLS reported that there were 790 graphic designers employed in the Jacksonville, FL, area as of May 2011. The mean annual wage for Jacksonville graphic designers was roughly $45,000 at that time (www.bls.gov). At the national level, the BLS projected that graphic design jobs would increase by 13% between 2010 and 2020 overall. Job prospects should be best for graphic designers with website design and interactive media experience.
Bachelor's Degree Programs in Graphic Design in Jacksonville, FL
University of North Florida
- Program Name: Bachelor of Fine Arts in Fine Arts with a concentration in graphic design and digital media
- Program Length: Four years, full-time
- Requirements: Limited Access review, portfolio
- Tuition: $170 per credit hour for FL residents, $612 per credit hour for non-residents (as of the 2012-2013 academic year)
- School Type: 4-year, public; about 16,000 students (roughly 14,000 undergraduate)
- Address: 1 UNF Drive, Jacksonville, Florida 32224
- Phone: (904) 620-1000
If you're looking for a program that allows you to combine your interests in graphic design and fine arts, the University of North Florida's Bachelor of Fine Arts program offers a concentration in graphic design and digital media. After being admitted to the university, but before you can apply to the program, you'll need to have completed 24 credits in prerequisite courses that include drawing, 2-dimensional design, 3-dimensional design, art history, computer images and introductory to graphic design. Once accepted, you'll participate in a variety of design courses, including web design, digital photography, illustration, typography, motion graphics and corporate identity (logos). You'll also be able to choose among upper-level electives to hone your skills in an area of your choice.
Flagler College - St. Augustine
- Program Name: Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design
- Program Length: Four years, full-time
- Requirements: Portfolio, letter of recommendation
- Tuition: $15,340 per year (as of the 2012-2013 academic year)
- School Type: 4-year, private not-for-profit; nearly 3,000 students (all undergraduate)
- Address: 74 King Street, Saint Augustine, Florida 32084
- Phone: (904) 829-6481
If you're interested in attending a private, not-for-profit school, Flagler College is located in nearby St. Augustine. Here, you can major in graphic design and earn your Bachelor of Arts degree. Before you begin your upper division coursework in graphic design, you'll complete the school's foundation program, which consists of courses in drawing and composition, design, visual culture and art history.
The program, which includes projects, internships and field trips, requires that you assemble a portfolio of your work. You'll immerse yourself in print design concepts using tools such as computer software and digital photography. You'll interact with many local professionals and tour local advertising and print businesses to gain access to the graphic design field. Minors are also available in graphic design, advertising and illustration.
To continue researching, browse degree options below for course curriculum, prerequisites and financial aid information. Or, learn more about the subject by reading the related articles below: